Friday, March 19, 2010

Pork Chops, Sweet Potato, and Apples

Okay, I don't always get a workout in so I've been trying to cook really healthy to make up for it. Brock and I were cleaning out the office (we still have boxes in there from moving!) and I came across his P90X nutrition guide, which has RECIPES in it! :) I'm thinking these people should know what they're doing right? So, last night I tried their Pork Chop, Sweet Potato, & Apple bake. It sounded super easy.

I used 3 pork chops (which we're pretty thick so I cut them once lengthwise) and then cut them into quarters. Slice the sweet potato (I just needed one) thinly and core & quarter the apple. Layer those on top of each other; season as you like with salt, pepper, and cinnamon; and wrap up in foil. Cook at 350 for 40 minutes.

So that was the recipe... however, since it was wrapped in foil, it had all that meat gunk on it. I rinsed it all off and put the meat in one skillet, potato and apple in another. I poured the juices in with the meat and just a tablespoon of oil with the potato and apple. It turned out really well! :) I thought the sweet potato tasted like the sweet potato chips at Blue Mesa. (YUMMMM) Brock doesn't like sweet potato but he liked this. The only problem was that the pork chops did get a little dry. But for such an easy healthy recipe, I'll give it a try again! I may try browning it all first and then cooking it...

3 comments:

  1. ok that sounded great except for the pork chops! I'm not so sure about that! I do love sweet potatoes and will have to try it with apples added in. I have done just sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmellows (my favorite!...but slightly unhealthy lol) and sweet potatoes with a banana cooked in. Good job cook...let me know what other easy but healthy ideas you get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I haven't heard about sweet potatoes and bananas! How is that? I do LOVE it with brown sugar and marshmellows. Karla makes it at holidays and I have to restrain myself from pigging out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet potatoes and banana is good if you like banana's....but only use about 1 banana to every 3 or 4 sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete