Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Great Deals at Aldi

Some of you may have noticed a new store called Aldi being built near you. There are new ones all over DFW. My sister has one near her and thought it had some great deals, and I got a flyer with some impressively low prices listed on it (10lb of potatoes for $1.29!) so I decided I would try it out.

This morning I went to the one close to me and I agree it has some pretty great deals. Here is my impression of the store; it is small which is nice because you can get in and out quickly and it is well organized and easy to navigate, but that also means they don't have a large variety of items or everything you need. One nice thing about the one near me is that it is right next to a walmart so I was able to swing by there to finish off my list. They have low prices on staple items and produce (especially the frozen foods);
frozen peas for 0.95 (1.39 at walmart)
baby carrots 0.49 (0.99 at walmart)
pineapple 0.99 (2.50 on sale at walmart)
avocados 0.39 each (on sale for 0.79 each at walmart)
taco seasoning 0.35 (0.72 at walmart)

They don't provide bags which would stink if you didn't have any of your own and had to buy them on the spot, but is good for the environment. You have to bag your own food (again, best for small trips I think). They have almost all store brand items with a few name brands mixed in, which I don't mind, but may bother some people. And, if you are going to try it out, make sure you have to have a quarter to get your cart (which you will get back when you return your cart).

I will certainly be returning to Aldi for certain items and be watching for their flyers. I'm a lover or produce and frozen foods, so this is a good fit for me because those items seem to have the best deals. So, if you don't mind shopping at more than one store I highly recommend trying an Aldi near you!

2 comments:

  1. awesome! I haven't even heard of Aldi. It's nice to have another place to go to for produce especially... wal-mart is kinda hit and miss. thanks Jocelyn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it's the same Aldi as the ones in Germany. It sounds like it! You have to bag your own groceries in Germany too. Most people take cloth bags when they shop. That's great they have them in TX now.
    ~Marisa

    ReplyDelete